- Outbound logistics are the activities required to get the finished product to the customer.
- Marketing and Sales are activities associated with getting buyers to purchase the product.
- Service activities maintain and enhance the product's value.
Along with primary activities there are support activities. These activities are known as overhead. Companies strive to create a comparative cost advantage to these activities with information systems.
- Procurement - the function of purchasing raw materials and other inputs in the value creating process.
- Technology Development - includes research and development process automation.
- Human Resource Management - the activities associated with recruiting, development, and compensation of employees.
- Firm Infrastructure - these activities include finance, legal, and quality management.
"Markets maximize benefits supported by externally enforced property right rules that prohibit taking without giving in return." - Vernon Smith